- 6 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon pickling spice
- 1 Teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 cinnamon sticks
- Dash red pepper flakes
- 1/4 Cup California golden raisins
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons pear cider
- 1/2 Tablespoon chopped shallots
- 1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper; to taste
- 2 Tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
At least 8 hours in advance, measure vinegar, sugar and salt into 2-quart non-reactive saucepan. Combine pickling spice, garlic, cinnamon stick and pepper flakes in cheesecloth and tie into bundle; add to saucepan. Heat to simmer over medium heat; stir in raisins, and remove from heat. Let stand at room temperature for at least 8 hours or overnight. Drain well, reserving liquid and discarding spice packet. Chill thoroughly.
Then, combine mustard, cider, shallot and pickling spice in blender. With motor running, drizzle in olive oil, and process until smooth. Transfer to storage container, and stir in salt, pepper, drained raisins and parsley. Store in refrigerator until needed.
Note: For serving suggestion, see recipe for Heirloom Pear and Arugula Salad with California Golden Raisin Vinaigrette.