Bugis Chili Prawns with California Raisin Purée and Pineapple-Raisin Relish
Submitted by: Alex Ong
Bold Asian flavors smothered over shrimp, with a cool pineapple relish on the side.
- Serving Size: 4 shrimp
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, brunoise (1/8-inch dice)
- 1 red onion, brunoise (1/8-inch dice)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup California golden raisins, plumped
- 1 cup California natural raisins, plumped
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 10 mint leaves, chiffonade
Sauce for Prawns
- 1/4 cup (4 ounces) vegetable oil
- 1 cup dried chiles; soaked, stems and seeds removed
- 10 shallots, sliced
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 stalk lemongrass, minced
- 10 kaffir lime leaves
- 1/2 ounce dried shrimp paste (belacan), toasted and crumbled
- 1/4 cup California raisin juice concentrate*
- 2 tablespoons California raisin paste*
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 16 white gulf or tiger prawns (16/20); peeled and deveined leaving tails intact
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
Mix lime juice, salt and sugar together until completely dissolved. Stir in remaining ingredients except mint leaves and let stand at least 30 minutes in refrigerator.
Sauce for Prawns
Heat saucepan and add oil; stir in shallots, ginger and garlic. Add chiles, cardamom, coriander, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves; sauté for 6 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat and stir in shrimp paste (belacan) and water; simmer about 10 minutes. Then, add raisin paste, juice concentrate and salt; mix well. With stick blender, process mixture until smooth; set aside.
Sauté prawns in a little oil. Add enough sauce to coat and finish with coconut milk; heat to boil and plate, immediately. Stir mint leaves into Pineapple-Raisin Relish and spoon onto plate; serve at once.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 940 (20% from fat); Total Fat 22g (sat 7g, mono 8g, poly 5g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 15mg; Protein 33g; Carbohydrate 168g; (Dietary Fiber 8g; Sugars 107g; ); Iron 7mg; Sodium 1230mg; Calcium 192mg; Potassium 1282mg
Comments are closed.