Braised Rabbit Irouleguy with California Golden Raisins
Rabbit and wine sauce with sautéed vegetables.
- 2 medium rabbits (about 2 1/2 pounds each), cut into 6 pieces each
- 1 bottle (750 mL) Irouleguy or other dry red wine
- 1 small bouquet garni
- 7 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 small onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and chopped
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 cup California golden raisins
- 3 cups veal or chicken stock
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup toy box or cherry tomatoes, stems removed and cut in half
- 1 cup fava beans, shelled and cooked
- 4 fingerling potatoes, roasted and split in half
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
Arrange rabbit pieces in a wide dish or glass bowl and add red wine to cover. Add bouquet garni, garlic, black peppercorns, onion, carrot, 2 tablespoons olive oil, celery stalk and California golden raisins. Swish rabbit around in marinade until well coated. Cover loosely and place in refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight.
Remove rabbit from marinade. Separate center loin meat, front and hindquarters and set aside. (The center part of the rabbit cooks much faster so it requires less cooking time.) Turn marinade, fore and hindquarters (not center loin meat) into large saucepan over high heat. Add veal stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add center loin pieces and continue to simmer 30 minutes more, or until the meat is tender and falling off the bone. Remove and discard bouquet garni. Strain sauce through fine sieve into large skillet. Separate and reserve raisins; discard remaining vegetables. Add rabbit pieces and golden raisins to skillet with sauce and warm over medium heat. Swirl in 1/3 cup butter until thoroughly incorporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Warm remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in medium sautépan over high heat. Add tomatoes, fava beans, fingerling potatoes and parsley. Sauté until heated through.
Place rabbit meat, sauce and all in center of large, deep serving platter. Garnish with sautéed vegetables and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 820 (44% from fat); Total Fat 40g (sat 13g, mono 17g, poly 5g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 185mg; Protein 59g; Carbohydrate 35g; (Dietary Fiber 4g; Sugars 18g; ); Iron 6mg; Sodium 630mg; Calcium 91mg; Potassium 1425mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.