Beef Tataki with California Raisin and Crab XO Sauce
Served Thursday night at Worlds of Flavor - sensational flavors!
Raisin and Crab Sauce
- 5 cups vegetable oil
- 4 cups minced shallots
- 1 cup small dried shrimp
- 2 cups Korean chili paste (Gochujang)*
- 1 cup California raisin juice concentrate
- 1/2 cup California natural raisins, minced
- 1/2 cup California golden raisins, minced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup sambal oelek*
- 1 cup fresh blue crab meat
- 1 cup brandy
- 5 pounds American-style Kobe beef flap meat*
- Kosher salt; to taste
- Ground black pepper; to taste
- Micro cilantro; as needed
- Daikon sprouts; as needed
Raisin and Crab XO Sauce
Add oil to large sautepan, over low heat, and sweat shallots until soft and translucent. Add dried shrimp and chili paste; mix together well. Stir in raisin juice concentrate, minced natural and golden raisins, and sugar; mix well. Heat and simmer until shrimp are soft. Add brandy and flame. Then, add fresh crab meat; mix together well. Set aside to cool, and store in airtight container in refrigerator until needed.
Cutting with the grain, divide beef into 4 logs; season with salt and pepper. Vacuum pack and sous-vide at 136°F for 3 hours.
To serve, remove beef from bag and sear in hot sautepan until browned. Slice thin and arrange on serving platter or individual plates. Adjust seasonings and garnish with micro cilantro and daikon sprouts. Serve with California Raisin and Crab Sauce.
1. Gochujang and sambal oelek are available from suppliers specializing in Asian foods.
2. Snake River Farms American Wagyu (Kobe) Beef flap meat (steak) cut from the bottom sirloin butt is recommended, and is available online at snakeriverfarms.com.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 1740 (67% from fat); Total Fat 133g (sat 18g, mono 73g, poly 33g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 185mg; Protein 72g; Carbohydrate 55g; (Dietary Fiber 1g; Sugars 44g; ); Iron 8mg; Sodium 320mg; Calcium 83mg; Potassium 1331mg
Comments are closed.