Barbecued Skate with Sambal of Lemongrass, California Raisins and Star Fruit
Submitted by: Kim Canteenwalla
Sambal can be made hours before serving which will enhance its spicy flavor.
- 6 medium shallots, sliced lengthwise
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, cut in hair-like shreds
- 1/4 stalk lemongrass, white part only, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 1/2 cup California raisins
- 1 small star fruit
- 6 skate wings (6 ounces each)
- Juice of 4 kaffir limes
- 2 large banana leaves, cut into pieces large enough to cover individual skate wings
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup chile paste
- Salt and pepper; to taste
Mix all ingredients together, exept California raisins and star fruit. Allow to stand for several hours or at least 30 to 45 minutes before adding raisins and star fruit.Wash skate; pat dry. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Brush both sides of skate liberally with paste mixed with lime juice. Wrap each fish wing in a piece of banana leaf to cover completely. Skewer banana leaf with rosemary stalk to hold banana leaf around the skate. Over low heat on grill, cook each side 3 to 4 minutes (145°F). Serve in banana leaf. Top with generous portion of sambal in center of skate.
Chef’s Notes: Slice star fruit 1/8-inch thick as attractive garnish to be placed in middle of sambal and skate. For best barbecue results, use charcoal.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 400 (43% from fat); Total Fat 19g (sat 3g, mono 8g, poly 7g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 100mg; Protein 34g; Carbohydrate 23g; (Dietary Fiber 2g; Sugars 16g; ); Iron 2mg; Sodium 95mg; Calcium 66mg; Potassium 843mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.