- 6 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup instant nonfat dry milk*
- 1/4 cup baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 8 whole eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups shortening
- 1/4 No.10 can canned applesauce
- 2 1/2 cups California raisins, plumped
- 1 3/4 cups + 2 tablespoons chopped nuts (optional)
1. Blend flour, sugar, dry milk, baking powder, salt, cloves and cinnamon in mixer bowl for 1 minute on low speed.
2. In medium bowl, combine eggs, vanilla and water. Add along with shortening to dry ingredients in mixer bowl. Blend 30 seconds on low speed. Beat 6 minutes on medium speed.
3. Add applesauce. Blend 30 seconds on low speed. Beat 3 minutes on medium speed.
4. Add raisins and nuts. Blend 1 minute on low speed.
5. Spread batter onto sheet pan (18 x 26 x 1-inch) that has been lightly greased and dusted with flour.
6. Bake until lightly browned in Conventional oven – 375°F for 35 minutes or Convection oven – 325°F for 25 minutes.
7. Cool. Dust lightly with powdered sugar. Cut 5 X 10 (50 pieces).
1. May substitute 2 1/2 ounces (1/2 cup) noninstant nonfat dry milk for instant nonfat dry milk.
2. May substitute 4 ounces (1 1/3 cups) dried eggs and 1 1/3 cups water for shell eggs.
3. To plump raisins, cover the fruit with very hot tap water. Soak 2 to 5 minutes. DO NOT OVERSOAK. Drain well before using.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 280 (38% from fat); Total Fat 12g (sat 2.5g, mono 4g, poly 4g, trans 1g ); Cholesterol 35mg; Protein 5g; Carbohydrate 39g; (Dietary Fiber 2g; Sugars 24g; ); Iron 1mg; Sodium 180mg; Calcium 84mg; Potassium 159mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.