Apple Tartlet with Golden Raisins and Calvados Whipped Cream
Apple and raisin tart with brandy flavored whipped cream.
- Serving Size: 1 tartlet
- 4 cups unsifted all purpose flour plus extra for dusting work surface and pans
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 stick plus 5 tablespoon unsalted butter, chilled
- 8 tablespoons cold water
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 8 large tart cooking apples; peeled, cut into 1/2-inch dice and tossed in lemon juice
- 1 cup California golden raisins
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- Pulp scraped from vanilla bean
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Sweetened whipped cream, flavored with Calvados or apple brandy
- Cinnamon-sugar; for garnish
Combine the flour, salt and sugar. Cut the cold butter into the flour mixture until you have small peanut size pieces. Add the cold water and work by hand into a soft dough. Shape the dough into a flat square using a little flour to shape it. Refrigerate at least one hour.
Roll the dough into 1/8-inch thick sheet using small amounts of flour to keep it from sticking to the work surface. Cut into ten 5 3/4-inch rounds. Shape the dough into ten sprayed and floured 3-inch round x 1 1/2-inch deep tartlet pans. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Cut the excess dough from the top of the molds flat with the rim. Reserve all in refrigerator.
Cook together all ingredients except the cornstarch and the lemon juice just until the apples begin to soften. In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch and the lemon juice until dissolved; add to the apple-raisin mixture. Simmer the mixture 3 minutes or until it thickens. Spread the mixture on a large sheet pan and refrigerate until cooled.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line the tartlet shells with foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake until crust is just beginning to brown. Remove the weights and foil; reduce the oven temperature to 350°F. Add the apple raisin filling and bake until the liquid is bubbling and the crust is crispy, flaky and golden brown.
Top with sweetened whipped cream flavored with Calvados or apple brandy. Present with a shake of cinnamon sugar.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 610 (29% from fat); Total Fat 20g (sat 12g, mono 6g, poly 1g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 55mg; Protein 6g; Carbohydrate 105g; (Dietary Fiber 5g; Sugars 61g; ); Iron 3mg; Sodium 240mg; Calcium 31mg; Potassium 339mg
Comments are closed.