Apple, Roquefort and Red Leaf Lettuce with Pumpernickel Croutons
Dress up a bag of red and green lettuce with this combination.
- 8 ounce thick-cut bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch wide strips
- 3 slice pumpernickel bread, crusts removed and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 1 package (6 ounces) prewashed salad mix with red and green leaf lettuce
- 3/4 cup California golden raisins
- 1/2 cup crumbled Roquefort cheese
Cook bacon in a heavy 12-inch skilllet over moderate heat, stirring until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Then, add pumpernickel to fat in skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring until crisp, about 4 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain and season with salt and pepper.
For dressing, whisk vinegar and mustard together. Add oil in a slow stream, whisking until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Halve apple lengthwise and core. Cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices. Toss with salad mix, raisins, croutons, half of bacon and dressing. Divide among 6 salad plates. Top with crumbled Roquefort and remaining bacon.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 370 (61% from fat); Total Fat 26g (sat 9g, mono 14g, poly 2g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 40mg; Protein 10g; Carbohydrate 27g; (Dietary Fiber 3g; Sugars 17g; ); Iron 2mg; Sodium 670mg; Calcium 114mg; Potassium 368mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.