- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium white or yellow onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 Piece (2 inches) fresh gingerroot, peeled and minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 Teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 Cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 Cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 Cup light brown sugar
- 8 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 Cup California raisins
- salt and pepper to taste
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and ginger; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic and cook another 2 minutes. Add turmeric cinnamon, cumin, cayenne, pineapple juice, vinegar, sugar, and apples. Reduce heat to low, allow to simmer about 10 minutes or until syrupy and apples are soft but not mushy. Remove from heat; fold in raisins, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. The mixture should cool to a jam like consistency.
Note: Can be stored in refrigerator, tightly covered, for several weeks.