Ahi Tuna with California Golden Raisin-Ginger Cream on Royal Trumpet Mushrooms
Tangy golden raisins meld into this ginger cream to top an extraordinary appetizer.
Golden Raisin-Ginger Cream (Yields 2 1/2 cups)
- 4 ounce California golden raisins
- 2 ounce garlic cloves, peeled
- 8 ounce red jalapeños (about 12 chiles)
- 2 cups mayonnaise (8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons candied ginger*
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed oil (optional)
- 4 sashimi grade tuna steaks, cut 1/2-inch thick (about 8 ounces each)
- sea salt
- 12 Royal Trumpet mushrooms
- Coarse sea salt; for garnish
- Micro cilantro or small cilantro leaves; for garnish
Combine raisins and garlic in small saucepot. Cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until raisins are plump and garlic cloves are very tender. Drain and set aside. Char, peel and seed jalapeños. In food processor, combine raisins and garlic with jalapeños, mayonnaise, buttermilk, ginger, lime juice, salt and oil. Process until very smooth. Chill.
Lightly season tuna steaks with sea salt. Sear to rare (145°F) in very hot skillet. Cool to room temperature. Slice thin. Set aside.
Slice mushrooms, lenthwise, 1/4-inch thick. Arrange slices of mushrooms in single layer on serving tray and arrange a slice of tuna on each. Top with a dollop of Golden Raisin-Ginger Cream and sprinkle with sea salt and cilantro leaves.
Chef Note: Perfect Purée (brand) candied ginger preferred.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 70 (28% from fat); Total Fat 2g (sat 1g, mono 1g, poly 1g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 15mg; Protein 7g; Carbohydrate 6g; (Dietary Fiber <1g; Sugars 3g; ); Iron 1mg; Sodium 95mg; Calcium 19mg; Potassium 215mg
Comments are closed.